Wednesday, October 11, 2006

At age 26....

... I'm in the worst shape of my life. And it's not really a matter of "gaining weight", it's how I physically feel and how "soft" I've been getting. The 2-pack I had in high school and early college has been long gone.

I eat out too much (fast food and sit-down restaurants) and drink too much beer. It's tough when it's the most convenient way to meet up with clients and friends.

My weight has gone from 145 (high school) to 156 pounds. It doesn't sound like a whole lot, but percentage-wise, it's pretty significant. At 5'6", my BMI (body mass index) is 25.2 according to the NHLBI website. That puts me in the "Overweight" category, which is any score between 25 to 29.9 (anything 30 and over is considered "Obese". That was quite an eye-opener to realize that I'm in this category.

My goal is to get back down to 145 pounds, which would give me a BMI score of 23.4. And unlike most other people, who want to trim down for the summer months, I really want to do this so I'm in good shape to go snowboarding and to do other winter sports.

What I really should do is track what I eat and write down calories like I did in high school, but that would take a lot more time than I have lately. I will, however, make a commitment to work out more. And by that, I don't just mean going to the gym. I'll try to play more basketball, tennis and rock climb more often.

1 comment:

Greg Ward said...

"Hug it out bitch."

I'm about 15lbs away from feeling really good about myself. Lemme know when you go work out, we can take turns vomiting from exhaustion.