Sunday, May 07, 2006

Movie Review : Mission Impossible 3

Last night I was excited to go watch Mission Impossible 3 at Lincoln Square Cinemas in Bellevue.

To sum it up, the trailers ruined it for me. A slightly above average action movie overall.

I had been watching all the various trailers on Yahoo Movies over the past few months, and unfortunately, all the good action scenes are in one trailer or another (not in its entirety of course). There were maybe 2 action scenes that I was excited about because they were totally new and unexpected. And the storyline wasn't strong enough to hold my attention on its own. If it weren't for the action scenes, I would have fallen asleep. Brodie even feigned snoring during some of the romantic scenes which they easily could have done without.

Still, the action was great and the style of the movie felt new even though it's probably common for action flicks (I noticed almost a blurry effect to make everything seem like it was moving faster than it really probably was). I guess I would rate the actors performances, but I'm no drama major. I'll just say I would watch Philip Seymour Hoffman again, he's a good villian. The ladies in the movie were unconvincing, but beautiful to look at. Tom Cruise was as expected.

My grade, if I had to give it one, would be a solid B.

One last remark, is it just me, or does Tom Cruise look more like Ben Stiller every year? Especially on some of the many closeups during this movie, I swear I thought I was watching Ben Stiller.

No comments: