Monday, May 08, 2006

Giving Away My Ford Ranger... FREE

IMG_2242
IMG_2242,
originally uploaded by jinlee.
Having recently become a part of Auto Loans NW, a company that offers auto loans packages (but specializes in loans for people with bad credit and first time buyers) and seeing the level of contrast between rich and poor in the real estate world... I've learned first hand the hardships many people have to go through in everyday life. Just in balancing finances, with home, auto, food, and all the other necessities. When I see people that have been taken to collections for bouncing a Girl Scouts Cookies check, I don't find it funny. I wish I could help somehow.

I've seen so many people come through who need a car, but they just can't afford one, can't get financing for one, and have friends and family who can't help them out. Some can't even come up with $50 for a down payment. I've met people who want to get in on the real estate boom, but don't have the resources to do so.

I wish I could buy a car for every person the banks can't help out, but I can't.

I mean, I see shows like Oprah and read about people with hardships on the news. But I've always been a hopeless bystander. Then I hear about people like Tila Nguyen (aka Tila Tequila) on Myspace taping currency to her walls to show off her newfound wealth, I kinda wish she would do something more with that money, you know? But on the other hand, this is America, so more power to her.

So it's time for me to do something.

Now, I'm not by any means a "rich" guy. I'm no Oprah, but I aspire to be like her. I can't give away hundreds of free Pontiacs in a TV show titled "Jin's Favorite Things" or "Jin's Wildest Dreams". But here's something I can do to make a difference...

I wrote a few days ago about my pickup truck. I love it. I know that my friends always wonder, "Why does he drive that so much? He's got a nicer car in his garage!"

Here's why. It's because when I drive it, my stress goes away. I don't worry about what people think of me, I don't try to race people, I don't care about where I park it, if people dent my doors in, or how expensive insurance is, or my next car payment. It takes me back to when my dad, sister and I used to ride around in a single cab Mazda truck. We would all sit so close together. I could barely see over the hood. I remember I would sit in the middle of the bench and the gear shift knob would almost touch my legs when my dad shifted (they're still short, but not as short as back then). Those were good times.

Now that my dad is sick, I treasure those days more than ever.

But it's time to give up the truck. Free. No catches, no hidden fees. Someone else needs it more than I do. Now's the hard part. Who do I give it to? Just email me at jinlee411 [at] hotmail [dot] com with 200 words or less why you deserve this 1992 Ford Ranger White Standard Cab 2 wheel drive long bed 5 speed manual with about 150K miles and I'll choose the 3 responses that are the most moving, deserving, creative, funny, and most importantly, in need of a car.

The rest is up to the readers to vote here on the blog. Your identity will remain private to the readers of this blog. I have a feeling that I'll receive maybe 10 to 20 entries, so your chances of winning should be good, should you choose to enter.

Here's the Carfax on the car in PDF format. And here's the Mileage Log and all service performed on the truck since I bought it (yes, I'm meticulous about it).

Despite what I said about the truck in a previous post, it runs great as long as I warm it up for 30 seconds. But I'll toss in some extras for peace of mind.

I'll toss in a 6 month / 6,000 mile warranty through One Stop Autobody in Lynnwood, a major service tune-up (right before delivery) through Express Tune in Issaquah, and an auto detail through All Star Auto Detail in Issaquah.

I know I'm not doing much, but I'm glad it will go to someone who needs it more than I do.

Oh, and the deadline. I'll review all the posts as of Thursday, June 15th, 2006 at noon. That's over a month from now. I'll give myself a little day off that day to review entries. Oh, and good luck!

19 comments:

Jin's Blog said...

Wow, got 2 entries already! And thanks for all my supportive friends who don't think I'm crazy for doing this.

Anonymous said...

hey - saw this link from mike's myspace bulletin and just wanted to say... this is a great idea.. and wish we had more people willing to help out... keep up the good work :)

Anonymous said...

awesome idea, such a clever and witty way to show power of caring and helping...oh btw, I writing you for the truck.....pick me...lol

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon,
I know that you will have tons of replys for your pick up truck but, I will put in mine also. I had a small truck, (a toyota) and after a battle with the city of Tukwila over where a person can park a car on his own property and how many he can have, I came home from work one day only to find that the city had imponded it. I sold it to a good friend of mine for the cost to get it out of jail so to speak. Then I donated my 1976 porsh, and a 72 Toyota Corolla to the Volinteers of America to make a point. Now I have only one car and NO truck. I miss my truck and with 2 grown girls, 23 & 21, I have had to rent a truck just to help them out at times. I would love and care for your truck as you have if given the opertunity. And if not me? I hope the person you choose will! Thank you from me, for them....

Anonymous said...

ok here it goes. I am a mother of 2 lil girs, and live with their dad in tacoma. We have a van that was given to us by his parents so that he could get back and forth to work. This being done after 2 repossessions for getting into car deals when we really couldnt afford it but needing a car you sometimes have to do what you have to do. He works the swing shift at a convienience store as a asst manager and makes very little income I try to stay at home with the girls since daycare is so expensive. I am always worried about what if and how would i get them to the hospital without having to call a ambulance, or even being able to take them to the park without having to take a bus, which by the way is no fun with a 2 and 5 yr old. So is your truck needed here?? YES!! Would I truly take care of it and love it like I spent a million dollars on it?? YES!! Not trying to sound like I am the only one with troubles cuz I know I am not and trust me I help out anyone in need when I can. So in closing I would really love to be the new owner of your truck and also really truly admire you for your total generosity the world needs many more people like us.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I read some of your blogs. I really like your attitude towards life. Life is what you make it, right? On that note I am submitting this entry to you. Part of me says that I don't need to do this, the other part of me, the mother and wife, says I shouldn't dare to pass this up.
Until, 1 year ago I was a single mother of two beautiful girls. Then I met my husband. Shortly after we started dating I was forced to quit work due to a disability. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and bi-polar disorder. My husband makes $12.50/hr and took a second job to make ends meet. His truck is slowly dying, it needs a new starter, timing chain, o2 sensor, catalytic converter...I think that is it. My car sputters and dies, needs a new clutch, o2 sensor as well, and I believe the valve gaskets(?) are leaking. Mine is a '96 Mazda w/153,000 miles, his is a '93 Dodge w/156,000.
If you find some single mom who is in desperate need of a car, I totally say pick her. But in the event you do not, please seriously consider us. My husband lies awake at night wondering how we are going to fix our vehicles when they die.
Thank you for being such a wonderful and thoughtful person. Good luck in your life and loves.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to pay it forward....

I admire what you are doing and know that the right person will be very blessed with a wonderful gift. All I can say is you are a great person for doing somethng like this for someone...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jin
What a wonderful person you are! I went through some hard time last year when my husband left me with 3 kids and no job. Some friends helped me when I needed the most and I will never forget them. I ended up opening bankrupcy, had to return my van to the dealer and almost lost my home ( still fighting to keep it). I know what is hardship, dispair and being left with no hope. Even though I have a degree, It was very difficult to find a job after so many years being a housewife. Now I have a job that doesn't pay very much but I have the opportunity to work a lot of overtime and I am trying to get back to my feet. I imagine people without education and friends to give them support. There is so much pain in the world and the children usually are the ones that suffer the most.
What you are doing is an act of love and respect to human kind an I admire you for that. I hope that life returns to you all the good you do to others.

Anonymous said...

Jin I sent you my story and just read some others that were submitted my heart brakes for each and every story. I will understand if I am not a winner. The point is even if I don't get the truck. I came across the path of a person who whole heartdly wanted to do something good for people. Thank you for even considering the truck to give away. You already restored some of my faith in the world. I hope you know what a good deed this truly is THANX jylebean

Anonymous said...

Fuck That! It's too bad everyone has such a sob story as to why they should have your truck. This is reality though; Have you read their responses? They can't even type. Maybe they were too busy smoking pot to go to english class. The fact is that you earned the money to buy that truck and people deserve what they earn. There is no way anyone could write enough to compensate for the work you had to do to buy that truck. Burn the clutch up and hold the pedal to the floor before you give it to some unfortunate leech of society.

said...

Nice to see there are those people out there that just want to do something nice, because!!... My husband and I are missionarys in the Philippines,we are home, USA, for 4 or 5 months a year, we have a Dodge Caravan, high mileage, so this truck isn't a move up by any means if I had it, only noticed a truck ,thinking of my husbands fishing boat he has that he doesn't pull with the van, cuz I' usually shopping if we have that 'rare free time'!! then I saw it was free!! but, ho hum, we are a long way from you, but had to comment, Bless you for your good deed! www.chariots-of-fire.org....

Anonymous said...

I'm unsure of where to begin. There have been so many hardships over the past few years of my 39 year old life. I don't mention these things to show how terrible my experience has been. I mention them because they have all contributed to where I am today. I've lost my Mom to Cancer, my sister to murder, and was left with no family aside from my three teens. I lost my ability to work after having the first of three back surgeries, heart problems, and being diagnosed with Unipolar disorder and Fybromyalgia. I am going against everything my doctors have told me and I've gotten a really great job. I can no longer allow our quality of life to be this abysmal. However, it didn't come quite soon enough and we are only two weeks away from losing our home. I've given away all of our furniture, and only our very personal belongings will move with us to our new home(wherever that will be). We are at a changing point in our lives. This job, the ability to get to work every day no matter how much pain I'm in, will create our new beginning. A car would make this adventure a more flawless affair.
.Thanks for this opportunity
(I've sent a copy to e-mail address w/ contact info)

Anonymous said...

I admire you very much for your generosity and your humanitarian actions.If the world had more like you we would be in a nicer place. Thanks for being an old fashioned Human Being!

Anonymous said...

my name is ashley and i really need this car because i have no transportation to and from work and i am 6 months pregnant and i have to find rides back and forward to the doctor god will bless you if you give me this car. i have just graduated from high school 6 days ago and all i really wanted was a car but my mother did have any money to get me one so can you please pick me for the truck it will be in good hands, thank and have a nice day. contact me at (706)393-3089

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know your doing one of the coolest things I have yet to see on a blog so far! Your going to get lots of brownie points in heaven! : )

Anonymous said...

Good Job Jin, I hope that someone who really needs your truck will get it and somehow someday "pass it on". Maybe not the truck but something else that is needed by someone somewhere. Your Good Karma is over flowing.

Anonymous said...

jin lee, as i was here on the computer(that will do noyhing I ask of it) I somehow ran across this blog. I think it is a wonderful thing that you are doing, the more people we have on this earth that is unselfish in life, makes the world much easier. I for one know first hand, the difficulties god tests us with. In april of 1999 I was in a auto accident, my sister was driving, on the secound roll I was trown out. Only for that 2 ton lincoln to roll on me. remaining conscious,the bus with my 7 yr old stopped, my parents arrived, I was wisked away to the hospital,at that time fighting the doctors, as they wanted to put me to sleep. Well, they did. I weent into a comma for 67 days. after my release (4 1?2 months I moved to wash. to begin rehab. To relearn all of lifes skills. Pretty scary when your grown up.The doctors asked my family twice ,turn of lif support, She'll never make it.In pain every day, barely have use of my left hand, memorey loss. I thank god every day I,m here to care for my parents, (that won't mind me)see my 2 sons granddaughter.Help every human possible. work 12 hrs a day, and my engine just blew up. I've many problems like everyone, though am thankful I do. My sister died. I lost 2 months of time. If nothing else I want people to realize, NO MATTER WHAT. dont give up, you can beat anything you choose too. kaletakimota@msn.com

Anonymous said...

Hmm wondering if you make a lot money from googleadsense.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you announced who wont the truck.....Keep us updated!!!!