Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Movie Review : Memoirs of a Geisha

Viewing Venue : Crossroads Cinemas (Bellevue)

First off, I'll be completely honest... Michelle dragged me to this movie. I haven't read the book and when I saw the previews, I was less than excited to see the movie. And think of how I felt when I found out the movie was 2.5 hours long! Length of a movie was exactly the reason I did not want to see King Kong (which is 3 hours long).

But I ended up enjoying the movie, mainly because it was a nice change from the usual comedies and sequels/prequels that I go to see. Parts of it definitely dragged on, but I expected it to. I could tell some people in the audience were exhausted from watching it.

Also, I believe the movie was the "Hollywood" version of the book, leaving out some parts and changing others. At least that's according to Michelle.

The only part of the movie that I really thought was odd is that all the Asian characters spoke English. Now, I don't really mind that, except that when Ziyi Zhang's character started conversing with an American soldier, I was wondering, "Where did she learn how to communicate with an American?"

Another question that I had after the movie was, "What really is a geisha?" The movie, at times, leads you to believe that a geisha is an asian hooker, but without the sex. So I guess that would be a dancer or a stripper. But it never really explains if they're glorified waitresses, really fancy drink servers, dancers, or a combination of all of those things.

If I didn't have a girlfriend, I never would have seen this movie. And it doesn't appeal to a wide American audience. So having seen this movie makes me feel like I went to some cultural theater event.

It's worth watching. Maybe not for $9.50 per person at the theater, but when it comes out on DVD, check it out.

No comments: