Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Gadget Review : Sony Playstation PSP

A few weeks ago for Christmas, Michelle got me a Sony PSP. It's something I never would have bought for myself but that I totally wanted. I thought all a PSP did was play video games, but it turns out that it does a lot of things that my computer does. It's got a web browser, can play movies, music, and display pictures.

Now I'm just trying to figure out the most effective way to convert my existing DVDs to play on the PSP. Unfortunately, that means I'm going to have to get a 1 gig Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo to store the movies. Those run about a hundred bucks. The software to convert the DVDs runs about $40 as well.

The PSP itself costs $250, so everything ads up pretty quickly. Games are $25 to $40 and UMD PSP movies cost as much as regular DVDs (which is just ridiculous).

The UMD discs are pretty interesting themselves. They look like tiny CDs/DVDs that are enclosed in plastic cases. Is this what the future of multimedia entertainment will look like?

So far, I've got NBA 06, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition, and Star Wars Battlefront 2. As well as Kill Bill Volume 1 and 2 that Michelle gave me with the system.

By the way, NBA 06 is a terrible game. In most NBA games, when you set it on "Rookie" mode (aka beginner mode), you can beat any team pretty easily. That's all I wanted to do so I could get used to the controls.

Unfortunately, even in Rookie mode playing as the San Antonio Spurs (who have one of the best ratings) against one of the worst teams (I think it was the New Orleans Hornets), I got killed by 30 points. 3 pointers do NOT go in, 1/2 my passes get stolen, and I can never get past any defenders when trying to score. I've read many reviews that said almost the same thing, so I know it wasn't just my basketball skills. I think my favorite basketball game was NBA Inside Drive 2003 made by Microsoft for the Xbox. Unfortunately, that franchise of games no longer exists.

I haven't had time to crack open Battlefront yet, but Midnight Club is a very entertaining racing game. The only complaint I have is that it takes a while to load races / levels. I find myself waiting around a lot. But the "zone" and "draft boost" features (don't know if that's what they're really called) are really unique compared to other racing games I've played.

All in all, I'm glad I have another cool gadget to help me spend the little spare time I have left every day.

No comments: