Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Things To Do in Seattle - Car Camping

Ever since taking over the Lodge, I felt like I would be cheating on Mount Rainier if I went camping or hiking anywhere else. But it turns out, Washington State has a lot of variety to offer.

Last weekend, I went to the Olympic coast and went car camping for the first time in probably 5 years. It brought back a lot of fond memories, since the last time I was on the coast was with my dad.

We stayed at a camp site in Sequim Bay State Park, which turned out to be a nice location because it was close to Port Angeles, Dungeness Spit, Marymere Falls, Lake Crescent, and even Port Townsend. Everything was about 20 to 45 minutes away.

The Dungeness Spit was fun, although it's definitely cold there even in the middle of summer. It was easily 10 degrees cooler on the spit than it was in the parking area. I was surprised though, that none of the places we visited were pet-friendly except for Port Townsend.

Car camping itself is unpredictable. Sometimes you just get a fire going and hang out at the camp site all day. This time, we decided to site-see and check out as many places as we could. I didn't get to relax as much as I would on a normal camping trip, but I did get to catch up with some good friends.

1 comment:

Frances said...

Those who wish to do car camping should first own either a brand new car or perhaps one of the used cars Seattle has available.