Thursday, January 18, 2007

WARNING : The nasty side of house flipping


Okay, so this isn't really an "update" to the house flipping blog, but just thought I'd mention a little bit about what really goes on "behind the scenes."

The few people who have written me about house flipping, remodeling homes and doing all that work all seem to think "it's a piece of cake." And compared to other things in life, it is. However, there are things you must do that some people won't do. Replacing toilets isn't just unbolting a few screws. Snap-in flooring doesn't really "snap together effortlessly." Walls don't paint themselves. Anytime you're replacing light fixtures or anything electrical, something could go "terribly" wrong if you're not paying attention. Anytime you're dealing with a wall (removal, addition, modification or repair), you're dealing with the potential for dust, mold, dead rodents, insects, and other nasty things that could be behind that wall.

So with that said, the two pics above show what I found in the pipes below the sinks. Now, don't be alarmed, it's just HAIR. But it's not my hair. It's some strangers hair (and I think that's what really grosses me out). And some of it's probably been in that sink since the house was built, so approaching 10 years now.

Right after dealing with this "hair", I had to go meet clients in Bellevue for dinner. Hey, maybe looking at these pics will help out my diet, because that night, I didn't want anything to eat. I kept smelling the smell from those pipes.

But anyway, those of you thinking about remodeling a house, take a looong look at these pictures. After I undid all the plumbing, the pipes refused to come apart. The reason? They were being held together with hair. Just imagine what's clogging up those sinks in your bathroom right now.

No comments: