Thursday, January 19, 2006

Auto Review : 2000 Honda CR-V

Reviewed vehicle : 2000 Honda CR-V automatic 4WD SUV
Approximate mileage : 55,000 miles
Relationship to vehicle : Owned from July 2000 thru March 2004

As soon as I got rid of this car, I learned on Consumer Reports that small SUVs (such as the CR-V, and Toyota RAV4) are the most reliable cars on the road. And that most of them get better with age (to a point of course).

I would definitely have to agree with that assessment. My CR-V never required any service that wasn't scheduled maintanence. It never had anything come loose, no annoying rattles, or anything that required me to take it into the dealer. In fact, I don't think I even had to replace a headlight bulb in the nearly 4 years I owned it.

The only reason I got rid of it was to get a more "client-friendly" vehicle. And it's an Acura so I expect that to be reliable as well.

If you're a 1-car kind of person, a mini-SUV is perfect if you live in Washington. You can take it up to the mountains (which I did plenty of times with this vehicle) with 4 people inside, 4 skis/snowboards on top and all the gear in the back. It was great in the snow and it was small enough for me to parallel park anywhere (and it even fit in compact parking spaces).

And for as long as I had it, I always got between 22 to 24 miles per gallon, and I couldn't complain about that.

The only downside to the CR-V is that it was very lacking in power (it was a 4 cylinder with about 160 horsepower). But I think the newer ones have improved this problem slightly.

Another great thing about this Honda was the resale value. I paid about $22,500 for it brand new, and nearly 4 years later, I traded it in for $13,000. It was in such great shape, I probably could have sold it for at least $14,500 if I listed it on Autotrader or the Seattle Times Classifieds.

Would I buy it again? As much as I loved it, probably not. I've got a pickup truck and a sedan now, so those 2 do a good job of filling in for the CR-V. I do miss the 4 wheel drive though.

No comments: