Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A Case of the Mondays

Just wanted to rant about the service industry. I agree that with the internet and other advancements in technology, that companies are better able to adjust to their customers needs. However, why is it then that customer service everywhere seems to be taking a nose-dive?

Take for example, Monday evening I went to California Pizza Kitchen (CPK) in Bellevue for dinner. I like their food, but it's usually really busy there and the service is always hit or miss. I figured it wouldn't be so bad on a Monday night. I was right, we were seated immediately and there were plenty of empty tables.

Unfortunately, we got our menus, and then nothing else. The server never came to greet us, take our order, give us water, or bread, or anything. He did say for a quick second (as he dropped off drinks at another table), "I'll be right with you guys." But that was it. I don't think he even made eye contact with us. After 25-30 minutes, we left and went to Cheesecake Factory.

Sadly, others who sat before us at CPK sat waiting with their waters and were holding their menus still. They fared slightly better than we did I guess, since they at least had their water.

And just down the road from them, I recently had a miserable experience at King & I Thai on Main St. Their policy of "Gratuity will automatically be included for parties of 4 or more" is ridiculous. ALL their tables are made for 4 people!! So to me, it comes off as lazy to include gratuity when you're not doing any more work. Maybe if it was a situation where you have to put 2 tables together and move some things around, then I would understand.

But that isn't what made the experience miserable. It's because the last time I went there, I watched for 45 minutes as people who sat AFTER us received the exact dishes we ordered. We were forgotton about. It was the first time in my life where I left ZERO tip. Usually I'm compelled to leave something, for the cooks or busboys or someone. But not there. I'll choose Chantanee instead from now on.

Surprisingly enough, I went to KFC tonight and got GREAT service. I ordered some chicken and they warned me, "It might be about 10 minutes." I said, "I can wait. Thanks for letting me know."

After 10 minutes, the lady apologized sincerely for making me wait, gave us extra chicken AND free soda. I felt like I should have tipped her. Of course I'm comparing fast food to sit-down, so it's not an even comparison, but still, I felt like I got a bargain.

Other places where I always get great service are Noodle Boat (Thai) in Issaquah, Teriyaki Wok (right next to Noodle Boat), and Sushiland (aka Marinepolis) in Bellevue. And Sushiman, but I haven't been in the mood to pay a premium for sushi lately.

No comments: