Sunday, December 03, 2006

I have a gadget problem

I remember learning about "universal remotes" when Dan got one almost 5 years ago. In theory, they should control all your devices. But I figured "Heck, I bet there's a couple brands that won't work with the remote." So I never considered buying one. Especially at their prices of over $100, some for over $200!!

But after moving into my new house (a year ago now), losing 1 remote, and realizing that the media room has 5 remotes, along with 2 more in my bedroom, I started searching for a solution. The solution was to get a Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 universal remote.

The great thing about this remote (and what really sold me on it) is that the software that it comes with connects to the internet, and is constantly being updated with newer hardware and devices. So the number of devices that it controls grows each day.

So far, it controls my bedroom TV, the LCD outside my room, the projector, DVD player, the Media Center on my PC, the Xbox 360, the Oppo DVD player, the Sony sound system, two Comcast cable boxes... and best of all, it controls the lighting in the theater room (a Lutron dimmer).

In one case (with the Sony sound system), the software wasn't familiar with the model number, so I was able to program the buttons by using the "learning port" on the Harmony (although later, I realized the model number was in the system, just without the "dash").

The rest of my remotes are now being stored away. For any gadget lover, this would be a pretty cool Christmas gift. Don't go to your local retail store, they'll ask $129.99 plus tax. Get it online for $90 shipped, brand new.

No comments: