Friday, November 03, 2006

You've Come a Long Way, Baby

Before I get into the reason for this blog post, I just want to say that "You've come a long way, baby" is one of my favorite names for a record album (Fatboy Slim's 1998 release). I don't know much about the man behind Fatboy Slim, Norman Cook, but he was probably reflecting on his career, and thought to himself, "You've come a long way, Norman." Hence the name for his release.

And hence, the name for my blog entry as well.

Today, I was going through some files that I keep track of on a regular basis (since I was paying bills). One has been tracking my bank account balances since my college years... more specifically, since the day I had started Reaction Snowboards, Incorporated.

Now, I've heard stories about celebrities, and how far they've come; Jewel lived in a car and was homeless, The Rock had $150 in his pocket and the clothes on his back, others like Charlize Theron were discovered while out doing their daily errands.

Granted, I've never had it THAT difficult. I come from a middle class family in a suburban neighborhood. However, the day I told my mom I was going to start a snowboard company, she told me she was totally against it. She wanted a stable career for me and for me to focus on school.

But I started it anyway, and in July of 2001, Reaction Snowboards became a Corporation in the State of Washington. At that time, I didn't have my own credit card. All I had was a basic checking / savings account at Bank of America, a Paypal account online, and an eBay account to go along with it. That was pretty much it.

It was pretty tough trying to get anything started. I think I had saved up $1500 by selling everything I own, except for what was necessary (a computer, camera, and snowboard gear). But I spent all that excess cash on getting products made.

If you look at my account balances from December 17, 2001, it states the following...

$336.14 - Paypal
$105.34 - Bank of America Checking
$8.45 - Bank of America Savings

That was smack in the middle of our first winter. Just over 3 months after September 11. It felt like 9/11 was on everybody's minds, and the economy as a whole was struggling. Business was tough and I never thought I would even break even. That day, I had less than $450 to my name.

And those who know me best know that money doesn't make life easier. I felt like I had only 3 sets of bills to pay; suppliers, manufacturers and eBay. Back then, it was a HUGE deal to buy a $200 - 2 megapixel digital camera. But I needed it to take pictures of products we planned on carrying. And then we needed a $600 JVC miniDV camcorder to record our riders in action. And forget LCDs, new game systems, and new cars... what I had was good enough and got the job done.

These days, I justify buying those things by telling myself, "I think I've worked hard enough to have the finer things." It's definitely frustrating though, when I take a step back and think to myself, "Man, HOW much did I pay for that? Do I really need that?" And realize that I have a ton of things I could do without. I mean, all I REALLY need as a real estate agent these days is a car, computer with internet connection and a printer / fax machine. Maybe some business cards too.

I guess this is just a lesson to anyone who happens to be reading this. I have a passion for a lot of things in life, but the passion I had for snowboarding at that time, just being outdoors, away from everything, with friends or without, being close to nature and natural beauty, has yet to be matched. But if I ever feel that passion again, you can bet I won't be sitting here at my computer. All I needed back then was enough money to continue snowboarding. Nothing else was really necessary.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to your passion for God? You once asked for my time to talk to you about Jesus Christ. I gave those hours gladly. I now simply ask, "What happened from that?" Don't worry, I won't ask you again, but that does not preclude God from asking you that one fateful day.

Regards,
Tim Ooyman

Anonymous said...

Hey Jin, don't go to the darkside, haha

Mitch said...

Think about what you've acheived in the last 5 years, now think about what your potential is for the next 5, 10 and 15. It's going to be a fun ride!

Greg Ward said...

Keep truckin' Jin, "Mr. Little Jingine That Could," you.

Greg Ward said...

Ok, it got a little weird there.