Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I miss my popcorn ceilings

Okay, so every homebuyer these days seems to cringe at the sight of popcorn ceilings. Now, if you don't know what popcorn ceilings look like, they're the textured things that builders used to put on ceilings inside homes (none of the newer homes I've seen have them). They're also referred to as "cottage cheese ceilings". The main reason for these was that they apparently hid defects in the walls, although I don't buy that reason (I've had to remove popcorn ceilings twice and neither time there were defects underneath). I think the main reason they were used is because it was applied using a massive spray technique, so it was fast, quick and cheap. Maybe they have soundproofing abilities as well.

I lived in a home for 20+ years that had popcorn ceilings, and now I kinda miss them. I remember a couple of times I would swing a baseball bat, or golf club, inside the home and accidentally scrape the ceiling, only to have little flakes come off the ceiling and into my hair or into my eyes.

Being in the real estate industry, you see trends come and go. And when some trends "go", you get nostalgic about never seeing them again. Maybe one day these trends will make a comeback (like aluminum windows and berber carpets are doing these days). But I have a feeling popcorn ceilings will go the way of lead-paint, never to make a comeback.

Although I do have to admit, popcorn ceilings can be pretty ugly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. A fun mess. Luckily my bedroom ceiling isn't "popcorn," even though it's of that era, so when I replace those panels I don't have to track that crap down.

What's up with your car? Need a hand? Wink wink.

- Kyle