Monday, June 26, 2006

IMG_4708 - Ride for Ty - PNWRiders and Renton Motorcycles

IMG_4708
IMG_4708,
originally uploaded by jinlee.
Well, it's been a while since my last post, so here's a quick update.

I've personally chosen a winner for the Ford Ranger and plan on dropping it off on Wednesday. My original plan to let people vote on the blog changed for a few reasons. 1. I didn't want it to become a popularity contest because I thought this one entry stood out above the rest. And 2. To let you in on a little secret, I do make money from this blog due to the amount of traffic it receives (when people Google certain neighborhoods / communities, my blog tends to show up). But that day I posted the Free Ford Ranger, I set a new record for traffic to this site, which meant I made a little more money from ad revenue than I usually would have (not enough to pay for the truck itself, but I was afraid it would get there and that's not what I was trying to do in the first place). So my point is, I'm trying to keep things low-key.

In other news, after about 3 months experiencing life at an automobile dealership, I gave it up. I'm not usually one to give up that quickly, or admit failure, but working at a dealership is one of the toughest environments I've ever been in. A few of the negative things I've heard about dealerships are true, but in general, I feel that salespeople are just trying to make money to support their families. There's not as much money as people would have you think in auto sales. The profit margins on cars are dropping and salesmen don't make as much as they used to. Also, with websites such as Craigslist and eBay making it simple for a private party to sell to another private party, most people don't put up with dealerships anymore.

Also, my dad is in town from Korea, looking for a place down towards Thurston County (Olympia, Lacey, Yelm). Talk about sticker-shock! I expected single family homes to be about $150K to $200K there, brand new. It's looking more like $250K to $325K for something decent. Not much difference between there and Puyallup, and I think I'd rather be there (a closer to Seattle, albeit only by about 10-15 minutes). But it's my dad's call on this one.

I've had this urge to get a new motorcycle for the past few months, one of those shiny new sportbikes. But I've finally decided to just leave those funds in the stock market, where I have it all on Jones Soda (symbol JSDA).

And lastly, if you were on I-5 North or I-405 South yesterday (Sunday 6/25/06) around lunchtime and were annoyed with the amount of motorcycles out there (50+ bikes taking up at least a 1/4 mile of the carpool lane), that was a ride we did for a fellow rider who is currently at Harborview. Thanks to those who put up with it. It was pretty special to be a part of.

1 comment:

Greg Ward said...

Hey buddy,

The car thing is real tough, sorry to see you go. If I could hit Randy Johnson's slider I wouldn't be doing the car thing either, but seeing as how my athletic ability is only at a reacreational level I guess I gotta expose myself to this brain damage until I find something I'm good at and can make as much money doing. You're a great guy. It was a pleasure working with you, and I look forward to working with you again when I start looking for a house... maybe sooner if I finally bite the bullet on what I've been wanting to do, my version of "bad choices Greg" - A crotch rocket, then we'll have to ride. Holla at yo boy!